Currently an employment opportunity exists at The Power Plant for a part-time Gallery Attendant. Reporting to the Visitor Services Coordinator and the Curator of Education and Public Programs, Gallery Attendants supervise the gallery space during opening hours, and provide tours and information to visitors.
Major Responsibilities Include:
• Provide front line service making visitors feel welcome, valued, and comfortable at The Power Plant.
• Greet visitors as they enter the gallery and provide patrons with information concerning present and upcoming exhibitions, educational programming, gallery membership, special events, and general gallery information.
• Supervise visitors while viewing exhibitions to enhance visitor experience, encourage conversation and engagement, enforce gallery rules, and maintain proper room capacity
• Prepare and lead thoughtful and engaging tours and maintain a comprehensive knowledge and in-depth understanding of the artists and themes in the exhibition
• Perform daily sales transactions using gallery Point of Sales system
• Perform administrative/clerical tasks including writing reports related to exhibition maintenance, attendance, and audience response; assisting in mailings and publication and shop inventory
• Provides staffing assistance for all public programs and events such as the annual Power Ball, member events, and revenue generation events, where duties may include serving food, drink, and selling drink tickets, taking photographs
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a gallery setting and an education in visual arts, art history, education, or a similar field. Excellent interpersonal skills, strong public speaking skills, written and verbal communication skills, and a passion for contemporary art is a must. He/she must be self-motivated and comfortable working with a team. The ability to work with computers, learn new software, and operate audio-visual equipment is a must. The job involves standing for extended periods of time and occasional lifting. A polite and courteous manner is required to interact positively with a variety of people, including the visiting public, staff, volunteers, artists and other external groups. Must be able to work flexible hours during special events.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 28th, 2015.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that our volunteer roster is currently full. Please check back again in Winter 2015, when we will schedule our next orientation session. We are happy to continue to accept applications during this time.
Share your unique set of skills and gain valuable experience at one of Canada’s leading contemporary art galleries. Volunteers perform a variety of roles at The Power Plant, including greeting and interacting with patrons, ensuring the security of works in the gallery, photographing and videotaping lectures, assisting with events, and more.
A volunteer at The Power Plant is:
• reliable and professional
• a team player
• enthusiastic for contemporary art
• committed for a minimum of six months
• meet new people
• develop new skills
• reimbursements for TTC transportation costs
• complimentary tickets to selected events
How to volunteer
Send your application form and résumé to email@example.com.
The Power Plant
231 Queens Quay W
Toronto ON M5J 2G8